Prev: Beth's latest poll Next: Re: problem with one suggestion on orbits (I think)

problem with one suggestion on orbits (I think)

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:19:39 -0400
Subject: problem with one suggestion on orbits (I think)

Cool ideas about using cloth circles to reresent orbital gradients.
Someone
suggested modifying vector at end of turn was very lethal (lots of
crashing)
and someone else suggested modifying end of turn vector based on
beginning
of turn position.

This might be better, but what about the scenario when someone starts
outside a given orbital band, crosses through it, and out again. They'd
feel
no effect for being so deep in the G well. Is this right?

Would it make sense (i dunno) to maybe apply the heaviest effect for the
turn? or the average of heaviest and lightest? (eg you passed through
the 4
mu well and started and ended in the 2 mu well, so your net effect is 3
mu)
Now, people will point out that FT flight does not represent the actual
path
of the ship.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I get the feeling that the
real
answer is you won't ever get a good sim because of the continous nature
of
gravitation and the discrete nature of the FT move system.

Perhaps every time you cross a gravity boundary, that 1" of motion is
immediately applied? Then you continue your movement just as before?

Thoughts?

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Q:  If Brian Kernighan had joined the Royal Navy,
what position would they have given him?
A: First 'C' Lord.

Prev: Beth's latest poll Next: Re: problem with one suggestion on orbits (I think)