Prev: Re: [FT] Help: Planets and Gravity Next: Re: [FT] Help: Planets and Gravity

RE: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:16:53 -0400
Subject: RE: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

Yes. As I said:
  2) It is a little of an odds changer for smaller (Cruiser) ships as
they
can
  force a large ship to threshold checks sooner. And...
  3) It has little value against smaller ships (regular Class-3s are
more
  effective).

However, it actually brings some balance back between equal mass of
large and small ships. Take 1 large ship with 80 hull and 4 smaller
ships with 20 hull. The 4 smaller ships take 4x the number of
threshold checks as the large ships. However, I grant that each
threshold check on the small ships may only effect 1/4 of the systems
(only those of the ship that takes the treshold); but the smaller ships
can only put 1/4 as many DCP to repairing the damage from any one
given threshold loss.

In play test, you still had to get through the first damage row of a
large ship before the Cutter Beams started to become effective. On
the larger ships this is quite a task.

Massed cutter beams against a single target became very effective
late in the game, but regular Class-3s actually forced threshold
checks sooner on small and medium size ships.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----