Prev: RE: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts) Next: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

Re: [FT] Help: Planets and Gravity

From: tony francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:36:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Help: Planets and Gravity

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

>	  Kickers are:
>	  1) I want an atmosphere in the space between them - the main
> habitable part of the system.

The effect of the atmosphere would be to cause drag on any ship flying
through
it. A simple method would be to apply a force to each ship that starts
in / ends
in / passes through (your choice) the atmosphere. This force would
applied
directly against the ship's final vector for the turn (so would be
applied once
all of the rest of the ship's movement is complete). It would be
proportional to
the speed of the ship (eg if ship's overall speed <= 6, force = 1,
ship's speed
7-12 then force = 2 etc).

>	  2) I'd  needa handle ofn the gravitatinal evvects of different
zones
> around the pair.

Apply the gravitational forces for each planet separately as if they
were simple
point masses, and you won't then need to produce a map of different
gravity
zones.

Tony