Prev: Re: SG2: Vietnam ("Siagon - s**t, I'm still only in ...") Next: RE: UNSC in Full Thrust

Re: UNSC in Full Thrust

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:45:43 +0100
Subject: Re: UNSC in Full Thrust

In message <20000723143633.95270.qmail@hotmail.com>
	  "Simon Brodie" <mr_fingle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing comments from people who play UNSC
fleets
> on ship designs and tactics.	How about it guys, time for the
Universe's
> Saviors to make a noise and kick everyone into line!
>
> Simon Brodie
>
> mr_fingle@hotmail.com

Well, I don't play them _yet_ but I've got some UNSC figures under order
from GZG, and I've been thinking how to design stats to go with them.

The SFSFWFT website at: http://www.homestead.com/sfsfwft/
has an old Ragnarok article about the UNSC in its sci-fi wargames
section - including some (pre-Fleet Book and definately pre-GZG UNSC
figures) ship designs.

In my view, consider the UNSC's twin related roles as peacekeeper and
defence of the core worlds (or the solar system?), for political reasons
many ships and tactics may be more geared towards 'removing the
potential for aggression' rather than just destroying other ships - the
idea being that member states will whine (and maybe withold dues) less
if you simply disable their ships rather than causing massive crew
casulties.

So many UNSC ships will carry 'disabling' weapons, such as Needle Beams,
EMP missiles, EMP Salvo missiles (see previos post from me on these),
maybe even a Mimbari-style EMP generator (if I can derive a reasonable
cost/mass for the thing!).

The article descibes the UNSC fleet as being a joint project of the
major powers (the politics must be excruciating) - drives by NAC,
weapons by FSE, hull by NSL - imagine the result :-)

In my more cynical moods I envision the Tufflyverse UNSC as being:
1) a front organisation for John Cribbin's Space Illuminati
2) peacekeepers - as in Farscape :-)

The UNSC also seems to do quite a bit of deep space exploration - what
have they found out there?

Hope this lot helps,

Charles

--

Prev: Re: SG2: Vietnam ("Siagon - s**t, I'm still only in ...") Next: RE: UNSC in Full Thrust