Prev: [PEDIA] State of the GZGPedia Next: Re: LLAR Website

Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

From: Jeff Miller <shadocat@p...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:44:28 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> Also note, that according to Quantum Mechanics and Heisenberg's
> uncertainty principle, there are such things as 'Virtual Particles'
which
> "exist" only for minuscule moments of time before disappearing again.
As they
> can not be directly observed, they don't have to obey most
conservation
> laws and for example, a low-energy photon can give rise to a virtual
> e+e- pair. Of course, it is a question for philosophers if virtual
> particles "exist". But certainly, there are measurable effects that
you can get
> out of the Quantum calculations only if you include virtual particles.

This is what I was thinking of.  It's probably where the "free electron"
designation got put on photons by some of the non-scientific press.

--

Jeff Miller
Program Director/Webmaster for Agamemcon V

Burbank Airport Hilton	--  June 8-10, 2001
http://www.agamemcon.org

Contact Info:
92 Corporate Park Ste C-330
Irvine, CA 92606
Phone:	(949)643-8352
Fax:	(949)863-9021

Prev: [PEDIA] State of the GZGPedia Next: Re: LLAR Website