Prev: Re: [FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points Next: Machine People

Re: [FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:54:06 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points

Bell, Brian K wrote:

>When I ran the Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise (PBeM), I divided the
>cost of the ship by the number of damage points to get victory points.
>This worked well, but was awakward and required more calculation in
>bookkeeping than I cared for.

In spite of its awkwardness and its problems when facing the SV, it is
probably the best I've seen so far.

>Then I saw that someone was using crew factors for victory points.

Brendan Pratt and the rest of the CanCon crew, I believe.

>This worked well and was simple to keep track of. Unfortunatly, it
can't >be used with the SV (no crew factors).

It doesn't work well with Kra'Vak or Phalons either, since they have a
higher cost per crew factor than humans. Look at the number of crew
factors in the various GenCon UK Fleet Action fleets (all nominally
1500 pts), for example:

PHC: 23, 23, 22
KV: 19, 20, 20
NSL: 24, 26, 26, 23
NAC: 24, 26, 26, 24
FSE: 25, 24, 25, 27
ESU: 25, 25, 25, 24

The main reason the Phalon CF totals are higher than those of the KV is
that more Phalon FB2 ships are "just over" a CF threshold, while more
KV ships have TMFs that are an exact multiple of 20 (which minimizes
the CF total of the fleet).

The "crew factor" system also penalises fleet with lots of small cheap
ships, though given that Brendan Pratt is one of the foremost
proponents of the BJ tactics that may be an intentional feature <g>

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points Next: Machine People