Prev: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga Next: RE: Salvo Missile Variants

FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:27:23 -0700
Subject: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

I know there has been some talk going on about FB2, but I haven't really
had too much time to follow it due to busy home life, etc., so if any of
what I'm going to say has been said already, I apologize in advance :).
Up until yesterday, I had only played one game with my burgeoning
Kra'vak fleet.	I had the chance to play two games with it yesterday,
once against my old NSL foe, and one against the Sa'vasku.

The first game against the NSL went pretty well.  At the outset of the
game, I was outnumbered 3 to 1 (we played a 3200 pt. game, and I was a
bit heavy on capital ships since I don't yet own too many smaller
ones).	I had two carriers (a light and fleet carrier), and a variety of
smaller ships; the smallest being one destroyer.  My opponent had, among
the 21 ships at his disposal, frigates, Waldburg and Waldburg/M
destroyers, two Markgrafs, a Maria Von Burgund, three Kronprinz Wilhelm
cruisers configured for escort duty, and a Von Tegetthoff SD.  I had a
total of 11 squadrons of fighters, he had none.  I let my fighters work
for six full turns before engaging him with my battle line.  They
neutralized the escort cruisers first, then went after the missile
destroyers and other small ships.  Finally, they went after the Von
Burgund and one of the Markgrafs, before having to return to the
carriers to rearm and reorganize.  I lost my light carrier before I
could relaunch the two groups of fighters that I had embarked, but my
fleet carrier was able to relaunch three groups of fighters, which
promptly went after the SD.  By the end of the game, I had obliterated
the NSL fleet.	All he had left were a frigate and a couple of
destroyers, while I had lost my light carrier, and a adestroyer, and
suffered moderate damage to several other ships.  Although I did win the
game, the outcome concerned me, because it appeared as though the
Kra'vak have a hard time standing up to other fleets unless they use
large amounts of fighters.  Also, the disparity in ship cost seems to
make it prohibitive for the Kra'vak to even want to close the range, due
also in part to their basic fragility when compared to ships of other
races.

During the second game, I played against a Sa'vasku fleet.  I had nine
ships, he had eleven (including six destroyers; it was a somewhat
smaller game).	I had no fighters, and he had two escort carriers,
although he didn't use them to launch fighters.  He began firing with
his SD at 72" range, chiming in with his other ships as the range
closed.  I managed to kill a couple of destroyers, but then lost a
destroyer and a heavy cruiser on the way in.  On the last turn of the
game, my battledreadnought ended up within 6" of his SD.  He had coasted
in, and so used all of his power points to fire weapons at me.	40 dice
later, my BDN had suffered over 30 points of damage, and lost most of
its weapons.  At that point, I called the game, since my remaining ships
couldn't hope to dent what was left of the Sa'vasku.

In looking at that game, it was pretty apparent that the fact that the
Sa'vasku don't need to allocate any power to defense is a pretty
overwhelming advantage against the Kra'vak.  Also, the fact that we
don't play with Damage Control rules tends to give them a strange
advantage as well.  Admittedly, I haven't had the chance to use my ESU
or NAC fleets against them, but it does seem that they have a tremendous
advantage, at least over the Kra'vak.  I do like the Kra'vak, but in my
(admittedly limited) experience with them, they seem to be overpriced
for what they do.

So, what I'd like to know is:  Have any of you who have more experience
with one or both of these alien fleets seen the same thing, or am just
being whiny?  And second, if I am being whiny, what sort of tactics can
you suggest for playing the Kra'vak effectively without having to rely
too much on fighters, and/or countering the advantages of the Sa'vasku,
particularly when playing Kra'vak.

Thanks,

Mark

Prev: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga Next: RE: Salvo Missile Variants