Prev: Re: Salvo Missile Varients Next: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga

From: "Bryn Monnery" <sue.monnery@v...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:25:13 +0100
Subject: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga

> Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:25:10 +0100
> From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
> Subject: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs
>
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone else on this list read Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modelling? Their
> usual subjects are a bit bigger than the ones used for SGII/DSII/FTII
-
> however - a few months ago, as part of a series on the FX of Space:
> Above & Beyond - they posted blueprints and 'specs' of the USS
Saratoga:

> A quick summary follows (if you want more detail - see SF&F Modelling
> #43 - or e-mail me)
>
> Gross Mass: Light 646,269 tons, Fully loaded 890,755 tons
> Length: 525.6m
> Beam: 245.1m
> height: 185.4m
> hull depth: 77.4m
> superstructure height: 67.7m
> Lidar tower depth: 40.2m
>
> Armanent:
> Kinetic Particle Weapon
> 1.2 GW Laser pulse cannon
> 2x 450 MW laser pulse cannon
> 6x 300 MW laser pulse cannon
> 4x 50 MW laser pulse cannon
> 30 Phalanx II missile launchers
> 72 torpedo launchers
>
> Propulsion
> Helium 3 fusion engine
> 2 chemical rocket engines
>
> Performance
> Max sublight .96c (????)
> Max accelleration 3.8g
> Endurance at max vel. 7.0 years
> Sublight range 5.7 light years
>
> Power: 2 MF-3600 fusion reactors
>
> Crew: 1,176 officers, 4,800 enlisted
>
> Air wing:
> 192x SA-43 hammerhead attack jets
> 16x AT-72 Stingray reconnassance planes
> 8x B-290 Barracuda fighter/bombers
> 4x SWAC spaceborne warning & control vehicles
> 12x ISSAPC armoured personnel carriers (aka ISSCV/ISSTV)
> 24x SSRT suborbital short range transports
>
> Thats quite a lot of fighters!

Yes, it is, and it's a lot of carriers given the established background.

When doing a S:AAB FT2 game, I rewatched the various battle scenes. The
Saratoga never launches a strike of more than 24 fighters, even when
outnumbered at least 3:1 by Chig carriers, I'm more of the opinion that
the
Saratoga is more a generic Capital Ship with both fighter and battleship
armaments, and acting as an assault ship. They call the Saratoga a
carrier,
the JFK class carrier manifest lists Colin Powell as a carrier, while it
is
consistantly a Battleship in the series.

I'm off the opinion that that Saratoga, and the one actually in the
series
don't match up at all.

I'll try and FB1 my Saratoga stats tonight, and send them on....

Bryn
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/9292/UK.htm

Prev: Re: Salvo Missile Varients Next: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")