Prev: [OT] A brief interruption: I'm back Next: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed

Re: Fighter Morale

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:48:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Fighter Morale

>If this is they way they are played, then if you only have 1 or 2
fighter squadrons
per side, I can see them getting blown to bits without inflicting much
damage

This _is_ the way they are played.

And you're right, 1 or 2 fighter squadrons will get creamed by any
significant
PDS net. You need to saturate, with massed fighters and/or missiles
coming in
simultaneously.

But... they're still useful in small amounts. To keep off the enemy SMs
for
one thing. To disrupt an opponent's 5-squadron strike so it's a
3-squadron strike
which will be hit badly by PDS. But their greatest use is in finishing
off cripples
and savaging marauding packs of small ships. Even single CAs can be
badly hit,
but their main meat is Super-Destroyers and suchlike, things with a lot
of Firepower
but only 1 PDS. Smaller ships too - remember you've only got 6 dice per
attack,
that's an average of less than 5 hull hits. And cripples are a good
target too.
After that enemy SDN has had 2 rows and most of a 3rd KO'd, and now has
only
1 PDS left, it's fighter-meat unless there's an ADFC escort nearby.

Prev: [OT] A brief interruption: I'm back Next: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed