Prev: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots Next: Fighters vs. Heavy Fighters - another newbie question

Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots

From: "McCarthy, Tom" <TomMcCarthy@x...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:58:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots

While I almost always appreciate adding a layer of abstraction (and
fighter
strength rather than number of fighters is a great one), I think Mike's
idea
is missing a few wrinkles I appreciate in the game.

Interceptor and attack fighters are there to represent a case where one
group has a significantly different strength in one context than another
(dogfight vs. ship attacks), so they might still need to be reflected
somewhere in Mike's scheme.  The heavy advantage represents the case
where a
group loses significantly less strength by attacking a ship, and should
be
kept.

Also, we like to think one MASS equals one MASS, and when designing
carriers, those with significantly superior fighters may deserve the
rebate
that comes from building smaller carriers and still projecting superior
or
equal fighter strength. (6 Vipers may be a match for 18 Cylon raiders,
but
doesn't the Basestar need to devote considerably more MASS to housing
them
than the Galactica does to 6 Vipers ?).

Other than this, I like the idea.  Very large squadrons for inferior
fighters make sense; 6 isn't a magic number for a fighter group, groups
should be a size which concentrates a reasonable amount of strength.

Prev: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots Next: Fighters vs. Heavy Fighters - another newbie question