Prev: Fighter Morale Next: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots

Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:34:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

> This is a companion post to ' "Agile" Fighters (yet another
re-evaluation of
> fighters)'
> I've posted something siilar before, but wanted to update my thoughts
on
> what happens when a fighter is "killed" in a dogfight or by PDS etc.
The
> rule is mostly for flavor and strategic level games, but I find it
necessary
> to avoid thinkin of any carrier group as basically sending sheep to
> slaughter.
>
> When a fighter is hit by anti-fighter fire, roll 1 die.
> 1-2: Pilot survives OK
> 3-4: Pilot injured but alive
> 5-6: Pilot killed
> Odd: Fighter repairable (maybe even able to limp to bay under power
after
> scenario)
> Even: Fighter destroyed/unsalvageable

    Along the lines of what is a "killed" fighter, I've been working in
another
direction.  Where the rules recommend keeping track of the NUMBER of
fighters in
a squadron, I keep track of the STRENGTH of the fighters in a squadron.
It's
the same number, somewhere between 1 and 6, and works the same way, but
what it
represents is different.  The strength of the squadron indicates morale,
expended ammo, as well as the actual number of craft in the squadron.
    This has a number of effects.  First, it frees you from having to
determine
relative strength of individual fighters.  We all know that one Colonial
Viper
is more than a match for three galmonging Cylon Raiders.  With the rules
as
written (RAW), you've got to be concerned with such things, and then
create the
Raiders as attack fighters, and the Vipers as interceptors, but even
that
doesn't work well enough.  However, when only the squadron strength, not
number
of craft, is represented, you don't have to worry about this at all.
One
squadron is equal to another squadron, in strength, even though their
number or
craft may be very different.
    Considering the strength as seperate from the number of craft, you
also
avoid that "sheep to the slaughter," problem.  How many fighters are
actually
destroyed?  I don't know.  All I know is relative strength.  Which is
probably
all the data you're going to get as an admiral on the flagship, anyway.
It's
possible that a "destroyed" squadron doesn't even lose a man.  All of
the craft
might limp back to the carrier, but be completely useless after
crash-landing
onto the deck.	Who knows?  It doesn't seem likely that this would be
the case,
but it is still possible.  More likely, when one or two points of
strength are
lost, a few fighters get shot up, a few are destroyed, and the rest of
the
squadron feels the drop in morale and behave accordingly.
    The best part about considering the strength as seperate from the
number of
craft is that you end up with another variable with which you can
realistically
toy, and which only lies partially within the players' control.  This
translates
to all sorts of fun in one-off tactical, as well as campaign games.
Here's how
I handle lost strength.  Other than what goes on in my mind, the combat
is
handled the same way.  But when the squadron gets back to the carrier,
you get a
chance to see how much of the strength can be restored during the
battle.  Roll
a d6 for each lost point of strength.  If you have and Ace or Turkey,
add or
subtract a die.  For each 6 rolled, increase the strength of the
squadron by
one.  Yes, a squadron with an Ace can actually get a strength of 7.
"Let's
re-arm, refuel, and get back out there to even the score!"  The chance
relaunch recovered fighters happens so rarely, it's a great deal of fun
to get
the chance.  It also creates an interesting tactical problem in games
that will
last long enough for a relaunch to occur.  I also allow a fighter
squadron with
a strength of 0 to continue to operate.  It can't attack, but it can be
attacked.  If a squadron is reduced to negative strength, it is
considered to be
destroyed.  There might be some survivors to recover, but the squadron,
as a
unit, is destroyed for good.
    For a campaign game, I handle inter-battle repairs like this.  After
you've
rolled the d6s for all returning squadrons as above, roll 1d6 and add
that to
the squadron strength.	No squadron can have a strength higher than a 6
at this
point, so if you get a strength higher than 6, make it 6.
    I've used the above rationalizations and rules, and it's been a
great deal
of fun.  It also makes me feel a little better about sending that
torpedo
squadron to make an attack run against a carrier.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

To see a World in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.
 -William Blake

Prev: Fighter Morale Next: Re: [FT] "Killing" fighters and pilots