Prev: [OT] Alien spellings??? RE: A Strange senerio (sic), Protoss Next: RE: [OT] Alien spellings??? RE: A Strange senerio (sic), Protoss

Re: FT Tactics

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:03:40 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Tactics

Joseph Poulin said:
> Do all FT battles tend to end up in the 'Circle of Death'?
>
> Has anybody used ships with more broadside type arcs?  It seems
>like they would be effective as long as you were using the rolling
rule.
>You could then just use wet-navy BB tactics.

  Wet navy BB tactics often tended toward the formal, where both sides
held
"line ahead", and tried to head-reach on the other side, cross their T
and
rake the head of the enemy column.  DD and CL might mix it up with their
opposite numbers but usually weren't decisive.	So wet navy tactics
weren't
less predictable than the "Circle of Death", just different.
  If you wanted more of a wet-navy feel, you could require designs that
focus mostly on FS/AS and/or FP/AP.  "House rule: ships can have no more
than one main gun firing into F arc and and one firing into A arc.  Guns
may
pay for four arcs and cover FS/AS/AP/FP."  It's not particularly
logical,
especially for a simulation of space combat, but plenty of people on
this
list do illogical things.
  That being said, some people do make use of offset arcs and rolling
ships,
eg F/FP/AP.  The Islamic Federation ships are an example--you will find
them
at www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/fullthrust.htm or thereabouts.  Of
course
they still have F arc, and you'd still get a Circle (or a head on
charge,
unfortunately)--at least in Vector, I haven't used themin Cinematic.