Prev: RE: Hanger Bay question Next: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs

Re: Hanger Bay question

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 18:32:20 +0100
Subject: Re: Hanger Bay question

In message <v04003a1eb58566cbada6@[63.201.229.94]>
	  Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@aimnet.com> wrote:

[snip my old message]

> These are by no means official answers, but I'll give it a stab...
>
> I would say that if the bay held something other then fighters
originally,
> then it could "hold" but not rearm or resupply fighters.

Hmm... so if you have a MASS 9 small craft hanger - cost 27, you _could_
carry a 6 fighter squadron, but not re-supply it - while if you have a
MASS 9 fighter hanger - cost 27, you could carry the fighters, _and_
resupply them, _or_ you could carry up to 6 MASS in small craft.

I'm not sure I like that - identical cost & mass gives different levels
of functionality depending which you choose.

It could be that individual fighters are _less_ than 1 MASS - FB1 just
states 1.5 MASS per fighter - without indicating what proportion is
fighter, and what is launch/recover/resupply equipment (LRR).

We could say that a fighter is a MASS 0.5 craft, and that 1 MASS per
fighter is LRR - in which case a MASS 9 fighter hanger would only have
room for a MASS 3 small craft.

or, if you want to differentiate between normal and heavy fighters -
normal are MASS 0.5, heavy (and maybe long range and torp) are MASS 0.75
- LRR is MASS 0.75 per fighter. Thus a MASS 9 fighter hanger would have
room for 4.5 MASS of small craft.

Anyone agree, disagree, comments?

> Squadrons have been pretty firmly established at 6 fighters. Though
you
> could allow a house design that departs from that norm, I'd be
hesitant to
> allow it.

Well, I largely propsed the idea to enable conversions of various genre
craft that have under-sized fighter complements - like the White Stars.

Can't think of any other examples ATM.

> Schoon

Charles.
--

Prev: RE: Hanger Bay question Next: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs