Prev: GZG 15mm Troops Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters

Re: Glen's ship designs

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:55:24 EDT
Subject: Re: Glen's ship designs

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>Subject: Re: Glen's ship designs URL

Re: many references to odd number of hull boxes.
Once I heard that FB2 allows this I started doing it.  Makes it
much easier to remove one or two hull boxes to squeeze in that
"critical" system.  I've noticed that I never have extra space
left over to add hull boxes.  :)

>>I also wrote
>> up some rules to reflect some SFB rules: HET, all thrust
>> can be used for turning (cinematic of course)
>
>This is effectively the same as the Kra'Vak drives in MT and FB2,
>though I assume that the HET isn't available all the time.

That's where the idea came from, after someone mentioned it
after reading my first draft of SFB Thrust.

As for HETs, the first one can be done safely, the following ones
have a die roll involved and failure causes a Bridge hit, a
Main Drive hit, and 1D6 damage to hull; although, the HET still
occurs but you won't be able to shoot.

>>armor is really ablative shielding so is fixable
>
>Auto-repairing armour/ablative shields are awfully difficult to
>balance, but if they're fixable by damage control parties or similar
>they should be OK-ish.

As long as everyone can do it then balancing shouldn't be a
problem.  I wanted to reflect the ablative nature of SFB shields.
That is also why I came up with a rule on how many armor points
you can have (equal to the mass of the screen generators).
The ship must also have a functioning screen generator.

>>Gorns and Romulans are not restricted when using Wave Guns for
>>screens and other weapons fire (hmm, didn't add anything about >beams
>reducing the damage of a Wave Gun).
>
>Sounds somewhat similar to the Phalon Plasma Bolts in FB2 :-/

So I've heard.	But, SFB had it before FT.

>>Any beam can fire as class-1s (a class-3 can fire as 3 class-1s) at
>any >missiles or fighters within 12mu but only in the arc of the
>weapon, no >ADFC required (assummed to be part of the FCs).
>
>Worth roughly 1 point extra per Mass of weapon.
>
>>Not to be used with regular FT designs unless they also receive the
>>same benefits.
>
>...or the ST adaptions have their costs adjusted to compensate <g>

Which is hard to judge except by experts such as yourself, Oerjan.
Thanks for the critique.

I doubt if anyone will play my version of SFB Thrust, but it was
fun reminiscing and making SSDs.  I love designing ships and can
hardly wait for FB2 when I'll be in Thrust heaven  :).

Glen
http://hometown.aol.com/gbailey/GBMain.html

Prev: GZG 15mm Troops Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters