Prev: Re: [FH] Battle report Next: Re: [DS] Scenario Design for Cons

[FH] Battle report

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:49:28 -0400
Subject: [FH] Battle report

1st Battle of Lafayette

(Let's get the list's opinions: in the Lafayette campaign, do
you get the benefit of the other side's repair base if you
capture it?)

Joshua took a mix of NSL, ESU and NAC ships; I used FSE (one of
Indy's Fleet List battlegroups, slightly modified) plus some ESU
ships for the system defense.  We split our fleets into
squadrons, agreed to use 0.5" per mu and charged at each other.
His squadrons were line abreast; I had two small squadrons out
on the flanks, and my 2 Bolognas behind my main line.  Both
fleets advanced--including his battlecruiser squadron, which he
sent out to catch my flankers.	He let them get too far away
from his main line though, and my battle line cut hard to port
and nailed him.  I then exercised discretion and FTL's
out--almost all my fighters were gone, and most ships had fired
2 rounds of SML's.  His losses: 1 Manchuria, 1 Jerez, 1
Richthofen (with 1 hull left), 1 San Miguel, and about 1/2 of
his (16) fighter squadrons.  My losses: 2 Ibizas, 1 Trieste, 1
Gorshkov, plus most of my (11) fighters.  I'll go to VN549 and
collect more fighters and missiles and we'll be more evenly
matched than we were to start.	Of course, as far as the capital
ship count goes, that means I have a Foch, 2 Bolognas, 2 Romas
and a Ypres against a Komorov, 2 Von Tegetthoffs, a Konstantin,
Valley Forge, Szent Istvan, 2 Victorias, 2 Majestics, a
Maximilian and a Der Theuerdank...I've got the advantage in
cruisers and escorts, but that doesn't make me too confident.

Lessons:
1.  Using cm scale gives you a much better feel--you have enough
space for flanking maneuvers without being constrained by the
table edges(or, in this case, about 2m x 2m floorspace).  Now,
if we can just get Jon to produce ships in a small enough
scale--we used markers for this game, due to the number of
ships, but regular ships would have been too closely packed
anyway.

2.  Keep your flanks either way out there, or close enough to
your main line for support.

3.  Win initiative (which I did, every turn).

4.  Despite what a British admiral once said, speed is NOT
armor.	However, trudging along at velocity 8 may be thought of
as _negative_ armor--it attracts salvo missiles and fighters.

Prev: Re: [FH] Battle report Next: Re: [DS] Scenario Design for Cons