Prev: Re: Reality disfunction Next: Hmmph. I've been dissed by kids

Re: Reality disfunction

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Reality disfunction

On 24-Jun-00 at 11:07, Tom Anderson

> i'll be the sole dissenting voice here and say that i thought they
were
> rubbish. well, 'the reality dysfunction' was - i didn't read the
others,
> but a friend told me how it ends, and i thought it sounded dire. the
plot
> was good (kinda), the space combat was fun if not terribly hard-sf,
but
> the depth of the characters and quality of language were appalling.
mind
> you, i dislike half the books people reccommend on this list, which
means
> most people will probably love the night's dawn trilogy! this may be
down
> to the fact that when it comes to reading, i'm actually not a big
> combat-sf fan (although 'bolo' is pretty good, and you can't knock
'the
> forever war').

I'm not sure you'll be the sole dissenting fan, I haven't finished
the last one yet.  It is different, you start out as fairly hard
science fiction, cross into some David Brin  style soft  science
fiction, and end up with Science Fantasy.  I'm not really sure
that it doesn't turn into pure fantasy before the end of the series.

Roger

(And to head off a debate, a creature that makes walkways by
disbelieving
the water is soft science fiction bordering on	science fantasy).

Prev: Re: Reality disfunction Next: Hmmph. I've been dissed by kids