Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter customization Next: Fighter heap endurance

Re: Retrograde skirmishers

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:46:26 +0200
Subject: Re: Retrograde skirmishers

stiltman@teleport.com wrote:

>The average is probably about 60-80.  I think I've been pretty clear
>about that.

No, you have not.

>Heck, I've twice given you an exact count of ships and numbers of
>scatterguns for a battleship-oriented force (90 scatterguns on five
>ships in my K'V based custom force, 60 PDS on three screen-2
cloak->capable battleships with ADFC in one of my more common groups).

The Kra'Vak case, yes. You wrote that before you had tried the KV in
battle, so I don't count it as an example of your average designs or
fleet mixes.

In the latter case, you stated "10-20 PDS on each heavy battleship",
without saying anything about a) how many battleships you were talking
about in the fleet or b) whether or not there were any area-defence
escorts around to support those ships.

>Keeping track of fighter endurance isn't terribly hard for me because
>there are few situations where I will have any number of fighters less
>than the sum total that I'm flying actually fire at once.

Not even when some but not all fighter groups use secondary movement?
Or is *all* secondary movement free in your house rules, and not just
the dodging of WGs/NCs? You haven't said.

>I'm talking about ships that might dedicate about 10-20% of their
total
>weapons mass to point defense being played in my games.  Maybe as
>high as 25% if they're really stocking up.  Noam, on the other hand,
has >suggested everything from his BDN that had a single class 6 beam
and >42 PDS/2 ADFC (read:  48 mass on an offensive weapon and 46 mass
>on point defence) to a destroyer with a single needle beam as its only
>offensive weapon and 5 PDS/ADFC (2 mass on offense, 7 on point
>defense).

46 mass for point defences are 27.6% of the total Mass of Noam's ships
(TMF 174 each). Your "maximum" 25% would be 44 mass for point defences.
Huge difference, no?

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter customization Next: Fighter heap endurance