Prev: (DS2, SG2) New Additions to my Web Site Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:02:00 -0400
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

straight face

Not precisely.	We're all co-devotees.	This is not intended to
imply anything, by the way.

Oerjan
>> and >>me. I took both in the same lighthearted spirit. I hope
I did not
>> err.

Stilt:
>> >I wasn't barbing at you

I observe that both Oerjan and Noam seem to regard the "barb
content" of your initial comment to be the same as mine.  I
conclude that neither of us was barbin anyone?

Stilt
>> He was suggesting that he has a
>> >house rule that all his ships get back a full row of hull
boxes

(snip)
>Laserlight did, in the message to me immediately previous to
the one I
>actually answered, as a somewhat uncalled-for mockery of my own
house rules.

I'll interpret that "somewhat uncalled for" to mean "partially
called for"...<grin>

  I was pointing out--possibly not as gracefully as I ought to
have--that a) your tactics and designs are based on your house
rules, and b) your house rules vary significantly from the norm.
Now, you have every right to have your own house rules and they
can be absolutely bizarre if you wish--"ships whose names start
with M have double firepower in December," for example.   And of
course your tactics and designs will reflect your house rules.
But your tactics and designs aren't inherently more valid than,
say, Oerjan's, just (possibly) better suited to the
rules-as-modified-by-you.
 ( Incidentally, I don't actually have a regenerating-hull house
rule--not that it would make much difference, as my ships tend
to go *pop* very rapidly once the armor is gone).
  I'd have to say that I still regard an "edge" as completely
unjustifiable.	It isn't realistic; and it tends, in my
experience, to produce head-on collisions rather than maneuver.
On the other hand, I haven't often gotten into a situation where
I needed to float the board--that's either a sign that my ships
are too fragile, or I'm not maneuvering very well.  Or, likely,
both....

Prev: (DS2, SG2) New Additions to my Web Site Next: Re: "Custom" fleets