Prev: Re: FB2 Vapour Shroud Next: re: The GZG Digest V1 #927

Massed PDS vs fightes (was: Re: "Custom" fleets)

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:14:15 -0400
Subject: Massed PDS vs fightes (was: Re: "Custom" fleets)

Since I think there are now 3 or 4 different threads running under
the subject of "Custom" fleets...I took the liberty to alter the
subject line  :)

"Davis, Jonathan E (CRD)" wrote:

> > That is not what Oerjan said. IIRC (IMW) is that the balance of the
fleet
> > was Beijing/BEs (ADAF/PDS escort version of the Beijing/B as listed
in the
> > text section, and thus stock). The 20-21 Beijing/BEs would more than
enough
> > to take out your fighters.
>
> How many PDS would that be?  60 or so?  *makes a note to self to look
at his
> FB1 when he gets home*  Not sure that would stop 41 fighter groups...
>
> ---
>
> Certainly more than 3 PDS per Beijing/B.  I think it's closer to 5-6
> per cruiser, so roughly 100-120 PDS against 41 groups.  With 3 PDS
> per fighter group, they average 2+ kills, cutting the number of
fighters
> to 160 from 246.  Their first attack will strike with 100+ dice
> assuming morale rules are in use.

Actually, iirc, stiltman explained that they don't use fighter morale
rules, and they do what is in effect 'instant fighter reorganization'.
IIRC he said they just tally up all the fighter squadrons into one
final count of fighter (thus 40 squadrons means 240 fighters, not 40
seperate groups of 6) and subtract from there. This *could* give PDS'
a very *slight* advantage in the reroll department, as you would not
necessarily have to assign PDS suites to fighter groups, but just
tally up the number of PDS' you are going to put up for fighter defense.
So if you would happen to get hit with the Teske Field during that
defense, a given PDS could potentially knock down more than a single
squadron of fighters, something one cannot do normally.

Mk

Prev: Re: FB2 Vapour Shroud Next: re: The GZG Digest V1 #927