Prev: Re: Measuring things... Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

RE: FB2... hmmmm...

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:12:43 -0400
Subject: RE: FB2... hmmmm...

Campaign? Interesting, from your previous comments, I would not have
thought
so.

I would suggest starting a mini campaign and see how tactics change.

Local Star Group: 100 systems in a 10x10 grid. Each player owns 5
systems in
one quadrant (NE,SE, NW, SW) of 4x4 systems. To own a system, you must
have
a ship of mass 100+ in it. Factories and freigters do not count toward
owning a system.

Jumps: A ship can jump 1/2 its MD rating on the grid. You may not jump
diagonally. The grid does not represent real space, but jump lines. If
you
jump 2 spaces, you do NOT travel through the interveining space.

Time: Each Campaign turn is 1 month.

Economics: Each side starts the game with 30,000 points. Each month, you
get
100 points per system you control. However, these resource points must
be
taken to a factory to be useful. Each resource point takes up 1 mass.
Only
freighters may carry resource points. Resource points may not be saved.
Resource points may be stockpiled, but only 2 months worth.

Factories:
  A Factory must be purchased with the initial points. Its must have
been
able to build the largest ship in your fleet.
  Size: A factory can build a ship equal to its mass.
  Cost: Factories cost 10 points per mass.
  Loss: If a player looses the system that has the factory, the opponent
gains 1/2 of the factory (the other half is lost to damage, sabotage,
etc.).

  Upgrade: Factories may be upgraded to a larger size, but it takes
resource
points to do so. A factory may not generate ships on the same turn it is
being upgraded.
  Repair: Factories may repair ships 1 resource point repairs 1 point of
cost.
  Destruction: Factories may be destroyed.
  Building Ships and Expendables:  It takes 1 month per 100 mass to
build a
ship or expendables regardless of the size of the factory (bigger
factories
are able to build bigger ships, but the time remains the same). If the
factory is lost before the ship/expendable is completed, the
ship/expendable
is lost. Expendables must be either loaded on to warships immediatly,
loaded
on freighters to be taken to a warship, or stockpiled. The maximum
amount of
stockpiled expendables is 1/4 the size of the factory. Expendables are
fighters, missiles, submunition packs, etc.
  Building Factories: Factories may be built in any system you own. It
takes
1 month per 100 mass to build a factory.

Freighters: You must purchase or build freighters to move resource
points.
Freighters may have Class-1 beams, PDS, FCS, and Level 1 screens. All
other
mass must be devoted to Hull, Cargo Bays and Engines.

Play:
  Each side writes orders for Campaign movement (jumps).
  Each side writes orders for building (provided they have resource
points
at the factory).
  Both players move acording to thier orders. If two fleets meet, play
it
out using Full Thrust rules. If a player had ships that did not move, he
may
choose table set up; other play may choose max starting speed. If both
players moved ships into the system, roll randomly for clock points and
speed.
  Set a time limit in game months (24-36?). The player who controls the
most
systems at the end is the winner.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

[snip]

> The way we do this goes about like this:
>
> 1.  We're both allowed 5000 points.  We'll usually consider it a
courtesy
> ask on little fudges like going a few points over or under.
>
> 2.  The battles are considered to vaguely be confrontations in the
context
> of a larger war between two entrenched powers, a Hierarchy of rather
> warlike
> xenophobes and their collaborating near-slaves (mine) up against an
> Alliance
> of free starfaring peoples resisting them (my brother-in-law).  The
> Hierarchy
> part is vaguely inspired by the Ur-Quan of the Star Control series,
> although
> the actual ship designs are closer to Star Wars for the core fleet of
the
> group; I don't know where he gets his ideas.
>
> 3.  In the campaign spirit, it's generally suggested that fleets
withdraw
> if
> they lose half their ships, but a bit of flexibility is generally
allowed
> if
> the long-term outlook of the battle seems positive.  (i.e. if you's
> sacrificed
> half your ships to cripple but not destroy anything, but over the long
> term
> you're going to annihilate the entire enemy force, we let it slide.)
>
> 4.  Also in the campaign spirit, there are considered to be long-range
> sensors
> that are able to detect FTL signatures.  For conventional sized ships,
> these
> sensors are considered to not be sophisticated enough to determine
numbers
> or
> size, merely that they're out there.	For superships, however, the
sheer
> magnitude of energy expended for their FTL travel is sufficient that
the
> long-range sensors are able to give early warning of an approximate
mass
> unless the supership in question is equipped with a cloaking device.
(In
> real game terms, this means that if you're going to fly a supership
into
> the
> battle, your enemy is permitted to know that approximate mass in
advance
> and
> adjust their own fleet knowing that you're going to have it there.
Side
> note:
> to date, no one has actually used the cloaking device exception to the
> early-
> supership-warning rule.)
>
> 5.  All ships that are not equipped with cloaking devices must be on
the
> board to start the action, and in general they are expected to be in
some
> sort of cohesive formation at opposite sides of the floor.  Ships may
be
> cloaked at the start of the game, but all their move orders must be
> written
> out in advance, and at least one ship (even if they're all
cloak-capable)
> must be visible in order to get bearings for its comrades.

[snip]