Prev: Re: Measuring things... Next: Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales

Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:28:14 +1000
Subject: Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales

From: "Karl Heinz Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>
> I don't think it's that easy to steal a vessel and then
reverse-engineer
it
> to build copies. There have been few instances, the most complex
example I
> can think of is the Soviet copy of the B29 Superfortress,
reverse-engineered
> from one that crashed in their territory.

...right down to the manufacturer's nameplate on the Tupolev Tu-4.

Having been in the business, I've see a Norinco copy of a Krauss-Mafei
hydraulic Fire Control System for tanks that was indistinguishable from
the
original. They got it via the Israelis. Same place they got their 105mm
main
tank gun, which is "a Chinese Copy of an Israeli modification
of the US-manufactured version of the UK Royal Ordnance Factory L7A1
gun".

Prev: Re: Measuring things... Next: Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales