Prev: OT: Ecological Disaster and Global Politics Next: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi

Re: real world colonization

From: Michael Llaneza <imperialdispatches@y...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:42:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: real world colonization

--- GBailey@aol.com wrote:
> (snip of possible colonization problems and some answers)
> Something else I find interesting: what corporations or products will
> survive into the far future?	Is Rolls Royce still making engines and
> cars, and now starships (they were in my Traveller universe of many
> years back)?	Is Coca-Cola and Pepsi still battling in their "cola
wars"
> and infiltrating market places (does the IF ban such consumer goods?).

> Is there a new cola, called, oh, say "Slurm", made by aliens?
> Do mega-corporations rival interstellar governments in power?
> Will there be "company" planets, as some sf writers have written?

A few new, a few old, a few mergers. Megacorps will definitely be
around.

> *sigh*  I miss reading some good sf.	Anyone have any suggested
> readings of new novels?  Especially along the lines of Niven & Asimov?
> Blue Mars bored me to tears so much I had to stop reading it.

How about Peter Hamilton's "Reality Dysfunction" series ? Lots of space
travel,
plenty of action, a fair amount of detail about how colony worlds grow
up into
mature, industrialized planets (count the number of orbital stations for
an
index), and then he starts tearing it down with a problem technology
really
can't deal with.

Good stuff.

http://im.yahoo.com/

Prev: OT: Ecological Disaster and Global Politics Next: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi