Prev: Re: real world colonization Next: Re: real world colonization

OT: Ecological Disaster and Global Politics

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:37:57 PDT
Subject: OT: Ecological Disaster and Global Politics

As an interesting  aside that seems to somewhat related to all the
discussion of colonization, immigration, and "Pushes,"	I saw an
interesting
program on U.S. Public Television (www.pbs.org) the other night.  It was

called "Secrets of the Dead: Catastrophe!"  And discussed a theory put
forth
by an English scientist that a major eruption of Krakatoa in around 535
AD
and the ensuing ecological catastrophe played a major part in quite a
few
upheavals in religion, politics, and populations, and that these changes

were both widespread and long lasting, still being felt today.	It took
them
a while to get to the point, and some of the conclusions are arguable
(though plausible), but overall it was quite fascinating.  It also
discusses
issues involving an asteroid strike and a tunguska-like comet airburst,
since in the beginning of his investigation, this scholar only theorized
catastrophe, he wasn't sure exactly what kind until he further
investigated
his theory.  Altogether, if you're an astronomer, a vulcanologist, an
ecologist, a sociologist, an archaeologist, a historian, a meterologist,
or
just plain insatiably curious, I highly recommend checking this program
out.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: real world colonization Next: Re: real world colonization