Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: Questions

Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 22:21:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Laserlight wrote:

> Snippage.
>
> >Second, there's resistance, as with moving a physical object.
> Space Travel
> >is expensive.
>
> NO, IT IS NOT.
>
> Now that I have your attention....
> You are making an assumption here.  Space travel _is_
> expensive....at the moment.  But we are not talking about the
> moment, we are talking about the future, and I think we can take
> it as a given (in the canon background) that shipment to orbit
> is going to become about as cheap as air travel is now.

	Well, the same argument applies.
	To keep the world's population constant,
	space travel would appear to be not cost effective.

	Every day, the world's population grows by several million
	people.

	Just to keep the population level constant, you would
	have to expend the equivalent of a coach class airplane
	ticket for several million people *every day*.

	Unless you get the price down to fractions of a cent
	per person (and with a speed of a Star Trek transporter
	or saying a magic word and snapping your finger)
	it is *much* cheaper to just use birth control.

Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: Questions