Prev: Re: PDP-8 building instructions in your kitchen... Next: Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade

Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 09:44:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade

Christopher K Smith wrote:

> It's about 2:30 am and I can't sleep, so I thought I would contribute
some
> of my ideas on this subject.	I deleted the messages that started
> the tread,
> so I started an new one.  Anyway, from what read the problem
> is ground to
> orbit cost and interstellar transport cost.  If you have the
> tech to make
> both cheap enough for a reasonable return on your investment,
> you have the
> tech to make trading redundant, except for specialty items.

Why?  I have cheap ground to orbit and cheap FTL.  Does that
mean I have all the necessary minerals in the right location?
Does that mean that the asteroid base at Proxima Centauri
doesn't need wheat (or bread anyway) shipped in?  Cheap transport
does not mean Star Trek "beam me a beer Scotty" technology.

Roger

Prev: Re: PDP-8 building instructions in your kitchen... Next: Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade