Prev: Re: Starfire campaign Next: Re: (FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters

(FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:13:28 EDT
Subject: (FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters

> > >Range (Info):    24"   48" 72" 96" 120"
>  > >Class 0 Passive	 All MASS    Bogey   None    None
>  > >Class 0 Active All All MASS    Bogey   None
>  >
>  > I think the ranges are too great.	What's the point of a Bogey if
>  > by the time ships got within firing range you knew what is or isn't
>  > a false ship reading?
>
>  I'll field this one.  These ranges are entirely appropriate if
>  you are playing on an artificially small playing area.  If your
>  playing area is large  either because you are doing PBeM or
>  you are playing centimeters (or your table is very large) these
>  ranges give the required tactal uncertanty needed.  Play a game
>  where the lowest speed is 30 and you will have a whole new take
>  on the game.
>
>  Roger (a convert)

What tactical uncertainty?  You're going to know everything about
the enemy before getting within firing range.  We play on a large
table but rarely does many ships get up to speed 30.  We have fun
with the sensor rolls vs jamming, especially when someone
is trying to sneak in a needle beam or wave gun armed ship into
the fray.

Any new sensors rules have to cover all styles of play.  This
so-called simple one isn't our style.

Speaking of centimeters, how does that play out using large
miniatures?  We've talked about doing it, especially when someone
does bring in high drive ships and get to speeds of 40+.  But all
I can see is a big jumble of miniatures getting entangled, having
all those fiddly bits knocked off (i.e. warp nacelles), for those
trying to stay within area defense range of each other.  And I'm
getting really tired of reglueing those fiddly bits back on (the old
SFB minis are really bad for this).

Glen

Prev: Re: Starfire campaign Next: Re: (FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters