Prev: Re: Simple Sensors III Next: Re: [DS2] Points

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:43:19 +0200
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Roger Books wrote:

>I'm not a DSII player (yet), but it looks to me as if the logic and
cost >could easily be handled by tying the cost of the FC to the cost
of the >weapon it works with, no?

This is exactly what Brian proposes (most DSII vehicles only have one
weapon controlled by an FCS). I outlined the effects such a system has
on game balance in my latest reply to Anthony Leibrick; I'll try not to
repeat too much of it here.

>Don't base it on the mass of the vehicle,

AFAIK no-one has suggested that :-/

I've talked about basing it on the total *cost* of the vehicle, which
is a rather different thing than "mass" (called Size) - the
more-or-less fixed ratio between TMF and NPV in the FB1 design system
(eg., virtually all human ships cost between 3.3 and 3.7 times their
TMF) simply doesn't exist in DSII. Eg., a size-4 tank "chassis" (with
everything except the main gun and its FCS) can cost anything from 50
points to well above 450 points depending on which mobility type and
what defensive systems it has.

I fully agree that Brian's system looks more realistic and therefore
more palatable to the players, but it has some potentially unpleasant
pitfalls concerning the game balance.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Simple Sensors III Next: Re: [DS2] Points