Prev: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring) Next: RE: [GZG-ECC and GZGPedia] I Need Your Help!

[DS2] Thoughts on tactics and design.

From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@b...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:20:05 +0100
Subject: [DS2] Thoughts on tactics and design.

Okay, none of what i am about to say is meant as insults or jibes at
anyone.

But! Everyone can surely remember Hi-Fi's that had record players on
them,
failing that think early walkmans. As the technology got better they got
smaller.

Now the same is true with guns. Early guns used to fire about 1 maybe 2
times
If that was true now, Texas would be a state of mexico, and drive by
shootings
would generally only hit one person. They also used to way so much that
a stand
was needed just to be able to aim. Now GI. Bubba can fire off 20 odd
rounds
without requiring him to let go of his bud light.

The same is true with DS2. Lo-tech tanks are generally size 3/4 since
they need
the armour. High-tech is generally size 2/3 since they are now more
agile and
hence harder to hit. And faster so that their short ranged "hell aint
got nothing on this"
gun can be placed right up to a clunking tin can.

Guns are also smaller. a MDC that does equvalent damage to a HVC is
smaller.
And the DFFG that does the same as the MDC is smaller still.

Tanks started as a way of giving an infantry man the ability of carrying
a great big
gun without slowing his movement down to almost stationary. DS2 has guys
that
walk around in a suit of armour that allows him to move at a speed 50%
of that of
a tank, all the while carrying a weapon that can really ruin that tanks
day. And he
gets all these extras while being a size that means most tankers can't
even see or
engage him at the range he can see/engage.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, as far as high tech goes, bigger
equals TARGET.
And that in my experience its lo-tech who need the boost, not high tech.
High tech
hit more often, have much higher damage and have a much better defence.
Sure
their points are higher, so what. In the games i play, the unit my
opponents fear
the most is my infantry VTOL's (boxy GZG things) Armed with twin DFFG/1
they
can take out a size 4 tank on average and they have nasty little people
dropping
down and putting grenades/bullets into whatever they can find. MY most
memorable
game moment is watching a Kra'Vak MBT run 30 inches away from a VTOL
that
had just wasted the rest of his unit.

I'll leave you with this thought. 5.56mm is standard rather than 7.62.
It has a shorter
range and slightly less stopping power. Why was it adopted. Because it
does the
job.

Never use a Size 5 Tank when a size 3 will do.
Graeme

Prev: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring) Next: RE: [GZG-ECC and GZGPedia] I Need Your Help!