Prev: Re: DS2 Balance Next: RE: DS2 Balance

Re: 7.62 chaingun? was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:17:13 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: 7.62 chaingun? was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Robert W. Hofrichter wrote:

> Of course, then there's the awesome 30mm GAU-8, but that's
> another story in itself.
>
> The 7.62 and the 20mm are used mostly on aircraft installations
(though the
> 20mm is used as the gun portion of the American Phalanx CIWS and the
old
> M113-based AA vehicle whose name escapes me at the moment).

speaking of GAU-8 and CIWS, there's a euro-NATO system called
'goalkeeper'
which does with the GAU-8 what phalanx did with the vulcan, and makes it
into an automatic CIWS mount. i'm entirely sure why they decided on such
hefty gun - perhaps the admiralty were anticipating the soviets
retrofitting old T-72s with rocket motors for anti-ship use ...

tom

Prev: Re: DS2 Balance Next: RE: DS2 Balance