Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: The essence of miniatures

RE: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW)

From: Tim Jones <timcjones@w...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:05:20 +0100
Subject: RE: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW)

On Saturday, April 15, 2000 3:17 PM, Robert W. Hofrichter
[SMTP:RobHofrich@peoplepc.com] wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't this make dodging the long
range
> missiles really easy?  Since the marker is put on the table one turn
in
> advance, the target gets one turn's worth of movement plot KNOWING
where the
> missiles will hit.

The idea was to reflect the inaccuracy of long range salvos using simple
existing mechanics. It would be easy to evade very long range salvos,
but
in the books missiles launched at long range are evadable or have very
little effect against moving active ships.

In addition you can control your adversaries movement
to some extent. As they evade your salvos you take away some of their
initiative and can direct their movement for your own tactical ends.

I suggested using the ER SLM range of 36MU as the break point but this
can be increased to better reflect the long range nature of HH combt.

I also envisage HH salvo magazines having a higher throw weight that
existing
FB1 designs, so you get more missiles for long range plinking.

>Or was the suggestion that the markers are placed on the
> field the turn they hit, but that the color of the marker represents
when
> the salvo was actually launched?

Not the suggestion. It would require book keeping for the firer to
remember where
they were going to place the salvos. However not a bad suggestion, but
IMO the
bookeeping would be too much of a pain as on a mini table absolute
positions are
not readily found, rather it works on relative positions from the
miniatures or markers.

> Sometimes I'm dense that way...

Miscomprehension is usually the authors fault :-0

Another possible mechanic is to fiddle the aquisition range of the
salvo. Launch as normal
SLM's. In the long range band make aquisition 3MU but in the close range
band make it 6MU.
This reflects long range missiles being ballistic having used all their
fuel for range,
so being unable to aquire their evading target. Closer range missile
being able to actively
home (as they do in the books) as they have fuel to do so.

--
Tim Jones
timcjones@wairose.com

Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: The essence of miniatures