Prev: Re: Detection sources Next: RE: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW)

Re: Mission to Mars

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:15:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Mission to Mars

>> Oh, well, what do I know. I liked "Starship Troopers" (but mostly
because it
>> peeved the ardent Heinlein fans... *S*).
>
>Allan, Allan... In this group, this is called 'borrowing trouble'.
>
>Must resist repeat of 'Why SST:tM was very bad' thread...Must resist
'We
>should lynch Paul Verhoven' thread... Must resist...resist...

Gosh, what do you mean...

That film rocked!  The biting political satire.  The deep meaningful
relationships.	The clever and foresightful depiction of military
conflict
in the future.	Denise Richards' great big... smiles.

Heinlein's plebian pulp facistic novel was perhaps interesting in it's
time, but Verhoven's vision and sense of drama couldn't but improve what
is, after all, a very average story with quite ominous political
overtones.

And the genius of the space combat scenes just took the film into the
realm
of...

<pause>

Ok, never mind.

If they had named it something else and taken away the vague references
Heinlein's book (a few character and place names, and some very vague
plot
ideas), it would have been a fun, but silly, sci-fi action pic.

Hopefully this doesn't ignite the conflict yet again ;-)

Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: Detection sources Next: RE: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW)