Prev: Re: [FT] Questions from a new-ish-bee Next: Re: Good books on Special Forces?

Re: EW

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:07:42 GMT
Subject: Re: EW

Glen Watson wrote:

>This sounds a LOT like the differences between
>active/passive Sonar in "the Silent Service."
>
>The key difference between okay and excellent passive sonar is not the
>quality of the sonar itself (although that certainly can be a negative
>factor) but - computer processing of the signals combined by constantly
>updated sonar reference files - at least as often as ship or sub hits
>base.
>
>Any Navy guys or sonar  technical people, please correct me if I am
wrong

No, you're spot on. I speak as a sometime designer of Submarine Combat
Systems
and Sub Sonars. (ISUS-90 and CSU-90 if you're interested, as fitted in
the latest
Swedish, German, Israeli etc boats). In fact, the systems refitted on
the Chilean
boats use old obsolete transducer arrays plus a new back-end, and I
think the
Italian Sauro refits do the same. (The above is all available in Jane's)

Prev: Re: [FT] Questions from a new-ish-bee Next: Re: Good books on Special Forces?