Prev: Re: MT missiles Next: Re: MT missiles

FT: EW suggestion/response

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 15:02:31 EDT
Subject: FT: EW suggestion/response

>Electronics Systems
>
>To ensure that redesign of existing ships is NOT necessary,
>we'll give ALL ships a Class 0 system with the hull.
>
>Class 0 Electronics - Included with Hull
>Class 1 Electronics - Mass 1
>Class 2 Electronics - Mass 3
>Class 3 Electronics - Mass 9
>Class 4 Electronics - Mass 27...
>Point Cost is Total Mass x 5

I'd rather see the following to go along with the current
MT sensors so we don't have to modify our own designs.

SYSTEM.................Mass.....Cost
Class 0 (Basic).............0.........0
Class 1 (Enhanced).......1........15
Class 2 (Superior).........2........30
Class 3 (Elite)...............3........45
Class 4 (Supreme)........4........60

That's enough.

>The Class 0 system will be inherent to all ships, so
>it should give the same info that we get now:
>
>Range (Info):	24" 48" 72" 96" 120"
>Class 0 Passive    All Size	Bogey	None	None
>Class 0 Active All All Size	Bogey	None

I like the randomness of die rolls that we use now for
scanning.  Knowing that one ship has no screens and the
others have screens is detrimental to the non-screened ship
against beam heavy opponents.  Also, a needle beam-armed
ship may try to sneak in for a shot before being pounded on
by the enemy.  I could go with various maximum ranges for
the different classes although I'd keep it to 6" differences.

>Ships using Active detect AND are detected at the
>listed ranges.
>
>Ships using active mode roll a number of dice equal
>to their sensor class.

I like this better than the current number of scans based on
the size of the ship.  Larger ships already have an advantage.

>These dice are scored just like beam weapons, including re-rolls on a
>natural 6. The "Hits" are then spent:
>
>1 Hit - Increase/Decrease effective firing range by 6", OR
>increase/decrease effective sensor range by 24", OR falsify Size
>information by 1 size class*
>2-3 Hits - Increase/Decrease effective firing range by 6" and treat as
+/-1
>level screens (2 max), OR increase/decrease effective sensor range by
48",
>OR falsify Size information by 2 size classes*
>4+ Hits - Increase/Decrease effective firing range by 12" and treat as
+/-1
>level screens (2 max), OR increase/decrease effective sensor range by
96",
>OR falsify Size information by 3 size classes*
>
>*Reported size class may only be altered for the ship mounting the
>electronics system.
>
>There. Simple. Comments?
>

>Schoon

I'm not sure I like the effects.  Screen level changes do not effect
many systems (i.e., pulse torpedoes) or may have no effect if
the ship already as 2 levels and gains another.  Also,
how can you falsify information from your own scans?  That's
the effect of jammers.	Speaking of which, you don't have
any or their effects.

Now you got me to thinking (ouch, stop that).
**  Warning  **    :)
A post may soon follow with my own EW rules that
mesh with MT.

Glen

Prev: Re: MT missiles Next: Re: MT missiles