Prev: OT: A couple of Space Combat Related Purchases. Next: Re: Phalon and Sa'Vasku encounters on starmaps?

Re: EW/Sensors

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:03:36 +1000
Subject: Re: EW/Sensors

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca>
Subject: EW/Sensors

> What we don't want to see in FB3:
> 1) Something so complex I need a calculator to figure each detection
> (systems with dice and set numbers and not too many of them are
better)
> 2) Something not so simple (at least in an optional EW ruleset) that
> detection is automatic or failure is automatic and where the fun parts
of
EW
> are ignored
>
> Note, 1 and 2 don't go well together. Thus the challenge.

Truer words were never spoken.

Possibly the best path is to start out Complex, with all possible mods,
then simplify iteratively until there's something that's playable. If we
start simple and add complexity, we often add unimportant stuff that's
complex before important stuff, so exceed the playability threshold via
the "just one more small change" creeping featurism.

Been there, done that (in Software and Systems Engineering).

Prev: OT: A couple of Space Combat Related Purchases. Next: Re: Phalon and Sa'Vasku encounters on starmaps?