Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Re: Mission to Mars

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:53:08 EST
Subject: Re: Mission to Mars

In a message dated 3/15/00 7:37:15 PM Central Standard Time,
agoodall@interlog.com writes:

<< Ouch. That hurt my feelings. *L* I was just pointing out that it's
been
 getting a lot of scathing reviews. I was hoping you'd have seen some of
them
 and give reasons why you liked it. I don't let major news outlets tell
me
what
 I should like (I work for a newspaper and disagree with our "star"
reviewer
 most of the time) but I do take a lot of negative reviews into
consideration
 when deciding to pay $10 to see it, or wait until video.

Fortunately, here in OKC we have a first run house that only charges $2!
But,
it was money well spent - customary first run prices here are $7 and I
would
have gladly paid that. I have seen some DUM B comments about this film,
and I
have shaken my head
    "Does NASA know they were shooting off missiles for fireworks at the

launch party?" They were model rockets full of party streamers, as the
movie
shows a NASA guy loading a model rocket on a wire launch rail - for
crying
out loud.
    "Does NASA knows they drank beer at the party?" NASA KNOWS they are
going
to bust loose a little before a mission launch which is WHY they check
in
three days prior to launch and get locked down on site before hand so
they
have plenty of time to go the mandated period before launch SOBER.
    The picture is good - sort of a 2001: A Space Odyssey without
Kubrick's
incomprehensibility. The story is pretty accurate science-wise. It shows
hamster-cage ship used for transit - someone is going to berate the
movie for
trying to land the WHOLE ship but it is not the landing pass that has
them in
trouble in the movie - it is getting ready for the orbital insertion
burn.
    Gary Sinise is good - he usually is. Tim Robbins is very good too,
but
the whole cast works together well, even those who make their "terminal"
exit
before the movie is over. The movie works the allure of Mars and the
search
for intelligent life into a cohesive whole, IF youreally LOVED the
travestial
movie "Starship Troopers" you will NOT like Mission: Mars - Mission Mars
is a
GOOD movie - Starship Troopers was not. 2001: A Space Odyssey was a good

movie despite Kubricks ham handed incomprehensible ending - Mission Mars

deserves a B or B+ and I give out FEW "A".s.

Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.