Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: Mission to Mars

Re: Mission to Mars

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:34:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Mission to Mars

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:47:04 -0500, Los <los@cris.com> wrote:

>I didn't say it was the best movie ever made, just said that I liked
it. And I'm
>at least intelligent enough to not actually let major news outlets tell
me what I
>should like.

Ouch. That hurt my feelings. *L* I was just pointing out that it's been
getting a lot of scathing reviews. I was hoping you'd have seen some of
them
and give reasons why you liked it. I don't let major news outlets tell
me what
I should like (I work for a newspaper and disagree with our "star"
reviewer
most of the time) but I do take a lot of negative reviews into
consideration
when deciding to pay $10 to see it, or wait until video.

There was a positive review from Roger Ebert (an acknowledged sci-fi
fan) but
he also complained about a number of problems in it. The "Ain't It Cool
News"
comment on the film (at
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=5386 )
was pretty scathing but obviously from a sci-fi fan.

>I mean after all how many
>sci fi movies about Mars are there?

A couple of dozen, most from the 50s and 60s. Nothing recent; the most
recent
probably being the Schwarzennegger movie from the mid 90s.

>And I liked SST also despite all the problems
>with it. And silly me, I actually though SPR wa sthe best combat film
I've ever
>seen but what do I know.

Ummm... it was! Although there are a couple of foreign films that
apparently
give it a run for its money.

> But then again I don't wake up every morning looking for
>stuff to bitch about. Go figure...

My mistake. I'm running a fever (seriously!). *L* I should have said
"What did
you like about it, as there are news articles coming out about how
scathing
the reviews about it are." Basically, when Disney and Brian De Palma get
raked
by mostly everyone, it's news. I was trying to determine if there was
something political in it, or if they missed something.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: Mission to Mars