Prev: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Background Info

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:54:29 +1000
Subject: Background Info

G'day guys,

Thought you may find these two abstracts of passing interest for use in
background stuff.

Cheers

Beth

Authors
Sitti M. Hashimoto H.
Title
Tele-nanorobotics using an atomic force microscope as a nanorobot and
sensor
Source
Advanced Robotics. 13(4):417-436, 1999.
Abstract
In this paper, a tele-nanorobotic system using an atomic force
microscope
(AFM) as the nanorobot and sensor has been proposed. Modeling and
control
of the AFM cantilever, and modeling of nanometer scale forces have been
realized for telemanipulation applications. In addition to
three-dimensional virtual reality visual feedback in the user interface,
1 d.o.f. haptic: device has been constructed for nano-scale haptic
sensing. For feeling the nano forces, a bilateral teleoperation control
system with virtual impedance approach has been introduced. Initial
experiments and simulations on the AFM and teleoperation system show
that
the system can be utilized for different tele-nanomanipulation
applications such as two-dimensional nano particle assembly or
biological
object manipulation. [References: 20]

<19>
Authors
Faia MA.
Title
"Three can keep a secret if two are dead'' (Lavigne, 1996): Weak ties as

infiltration routes
Source
Quality & Quantity. 34(2):193-216, 2000 May.
Abstract
Among several ways of trying to suppress terrorist conspiracies,
infiltration has probably received the least attention. Impressionistic
evidence suggests that conspiracies that carry out violent attacks
usually
have a small number of participants, and that large conspiracies either
fail to materialize, fail to organize actual attacks, or are
substantially
less difficult to uncover. Due to the prevalence of weak social ties in
larger groups there may be an intermediate group size, around 7-10
members, that is highly subject to infiltration. Building on work by
Freeman, Granovetter, and others, this study examines a few features of
the social ecology of interaction ties. We introduce a procedure for
counting, within groups of size n, all interacting pairs {P, Q}, where P

and Q are disjoint or nonoverlapping subsets (Freeman, 1992: 153) of a
given group; these subsets usually contain more than one person, i.e.,
the
interacting units do not invariably consist of individuals. This
procedure
generates interaction configurations having unique patterns of strong,
weak, and "weakest'' ties - i.e., three levels of tie strength
corresponding to core, primary, and secondary ties in Freeman's
terminology - such that relatively weak ties predominate within larger
conspiracies. We speculate about ways in which these configurations may
evolve through time.
We then use a combinatorial analysis of group structure to develop a
rough
calculation of the probability of infiltrating conspiracies of size n,
and
we show that relatively large conspiracies, having 7 or more members,
tend
to have interaction structures that make them highly vulnerable to
infiltration. Finally, Collins' (1985: 170-172) approach to
interaction-chain analysis suggests that, while in real situations it
would be hard to anticipate departures from our probability model,
attempts to "turn around'' conspirators with weak ties appear to have a
fairly high prospect of success.
But the child's sob in the silence
Curses deeper than the strong man in his wrath.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, "Cry of the children''. [References: 30]

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.