Prev: Re: On-going KV debate Next: Re: On-going KV debate

Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:42:43 +0100
Subject: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

J Sadler wrote:

>I've always believed the Sa'Vasku should be completely
>incomprehensible to humanity ie we don't know why they do the things
>they do. One day, they'll pop up and blow a colony out of existence;
the >next, they'll help a human ship crippled by pirates to reach
safety. Why? >Who knows? We can't communicate with them, they either
can't or >wont communicate with us, and they are truly, truly alien.

We may not be able to communicate with them, but they certainly are
able, and sometimes willing, to communicate with us - eg, by kidnapping
entire spaceships (eg., the UNSC McCaffrey) and "programming" one of
its crewmembers with a message, then release a life pod with that crew
member within detection range of a human ship :-/

>Remember: the moment we start giving traits we recognise to aliens,
>they stop being truly alien.

The moment we start giving traits we recognize to aliens, we start
deluding ourselves...

>The Kra'Vak, for example, are really men in rubber
>suits - sure they react differently, but they have traits that humans
>understand.

And they have other traits that we *don't* understand. The problem is
that we (the players/authors) *also* don't understand those traits, and
therefore are unable to describe them either in text or in game
mechanics...

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: On-going KV debate Next: Re: On-going KV debate