Prev: Re: PBeM new tactics Next: Re: Falkenberg/DSII

DS II Infantry vs vehicles

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:29:17 PST
Subject: DS II Infantry vs vehicles

I've been thinking about the rules for infantry firing at vehicles in DS
II.
  Currently, there are two types of weapons used:  GMS/L teams, and
regular
infantry firing IAVR's. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.  The
GMS
has greater range and firepower, but it can be spoofed by ECM, and it
must
be carried by a specialized team/element. The IAVR cannot be spoofed,
and
any element may fire it, but it has very limited range anf destructive
power
vs. armor.  I begin to think it would be great if there was something
that
was a compromise between the two.  And I realized there is.

Let's say that the GMS roughly equates to the futuristic version of a
TOW,
or Hellfire, or Dragon (Depending on whether it's H or L).  And
according to
the book, the IAVR equates to the modern LAW or RPG.

But there's a whole class of weapon left out of the occasion.  What
about
larget direct-fire infantry-fired rockets and recoilless systems, like
the
SMAW or B-300 or Carl Gustav?

Thus I propose the SAVR (Support Anti-Vehicle Rocket).	It combines some
of
the best and worst of both GMS/L teams AND IAVR's

Like a GMS/L, a SAVR must be carried by a dedicated team, which can only

carry small arms for self-defense in addition to their SAVR.  SAVR's use
the
same validities as IAVR's, but they draw 3 chits instead of 2, and they
have
an effective range of 16" (Much greater than an IAVR, but nothing
compared
to the 36" of a GMS/L.	The advantage is that SAVR's are not succeptible
ECM and ADS/PDS fire like GMS' are.)

In general, I'm pretty happy with these stats.	But if someone can
suggest a
more viable range, that is the one area I'm most open to tweaking this
house
rule.

Brian B

Prev: Re: PBeM new tactics Next: Re: Falkenberg/DSII