Prev: RE: GMS vs Infantry Next: Re: Modeling Honor Harrington Ships.

RE: Stealth in SG2 - how to implement it?

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:24:06 -0500
Subject: RE: Stealth in SG2 - how to implement it?

You are correct on the implied meaning of stealth in DS2.

For SG2, I would suggest both #1 and #2.
#1 mirrors the DS2 mechanic of reducing the size signature of the
vehicle.
#2 would provide additional protection from GMS (which is MUCH more
deadly
in SG2 than DS2).

For infantry (including PA and 1 person vehicles such as motorcycles and
grav-boards), I would suggest that each level of stealth place the
infantry
at 1 greater range band (I think that this shifts the target die). I
would
also limit this to 1 level for regular infantry and 2 for
PA/motorbikes/grav-boards.

And last, if the motorbike is powered by HMT (Fuel Cell) or FGP
(Fusion), it
would be as quiet as PA (which I assume is powered by HMT OR FGP). LOL,
just pictured a PA trooper with a gasoline engine on his back.
Put...put...put..put...

Having only played SG2 twice, I am unsure. Do most people play
motorcycles
as individual figures or as size 1 vehicles? I would argue for
individual
figures (as I use them in DS2) unless in a group. Size 1 vehicles would
be
Jeep size or larger, IMHO.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

electronic/EM
> countermeasures, thermal ducting and countermeasures, and visual
> countermeasures. What is the effect? In DS2, it makes the vehicle
harder
> hit by reducing its effective signature.
>
> How to best represent this in SG2?
>
> Ideas:
>
> 1) A reduction of size class as a target
> 2) An increase of effective ECM by 1 or more levels (an open shift
that
> moves from the defenders ECM die to the attackers guidance or FC/FP
die)
> 3) A stealth die - a 1 level stealth is D4, 2 level is D6, etc.
>
> Each has advantages and disadvantages.
>
> 1) Pros: Easy to do, somewhat similar in mechanic to DS2
>    Cons: Works not a whit against GMS or infantry small arms - useless

>    to size class 1 vehicles.
>
> 2) Pros: Easy to do. Works against all attacking weapons systems.
Similar
>    shift can be applied to spotting rolls.
>    Cons: Means shifting more than 1 die conceivably.
> 3) Pros: Extra die is probably most advantageous option for defender.
>    Also works for spotting.
>    Cons: Means attacker would have to beat both stealth and range or
ECM