Prev: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q) Next: Radar, sonar and more

Re: NBC

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:33:18 -0500
Subject: Re: NBC

sportyspam@harm.dhs.org wrote:

>   Think Vasquez, Bishop and Frost would have died if they were
expecting
> to make an Alien 3?  Maybe not.  Too bad they never did make an Alien
3...
> :)

Ughh there was but let's not go there....

>   Yeah, but I can't help think they'd be happier playing a WWII or
> Vietnam game. :)

Many do. Mike Sarno being for instance a big Vietnam (CC) player. But
then I think
many if not most of the players on this list do other historical gaming
(I go way back
to ancients occasionally and all the way up from there.) And actually
I'm as much
fascinated by what stays the same about soldiering and combat over the
millennia then
what changes. (Having been one myself for 23 years and having studied
the subject my
whole life I have no doubt that I could sit down with a legionnaire or
some guy 200
years from now and find more in common about being a soldier than many
would suspect.)

I think warfare in all ages has at its core principles a set of if you
will physical
laws that will remain immutable regardless of the age. You'll always
need a plan, the
enemy will always have their own plan. There will always be uncertainty,
about the
enemy, his intentions, dispositions, the battlefield. In support of
that, every good
sensor will have a counter to it, or else someone in R&D isn't doing
their job. Your
plan will be, in part or in whole, invalidated	upon implementation due
to the
situation and circumstances and will require modifications and changes
faster than the
enemy can make his changes. Chaos will always interfere. The preparation
of your
force, be it animal, vegetable, mineral, or circuitry, will always be a
key factor in
how will effectively or ineffectively you overcome the situations that
arise on the
battlefield. At times one technology or another will give an edge to
combatants, until
the inevitable counter technologies restores equilibrium to the
equation. War will
always be painful and destructive or else it will serve no purpose.

And even in smaller terms a soldier, if he's human, will always have to
drink water,
will probably have to occasionally take a dump, and will have to run
risks and suffer
the consequences of other's decisions, bah blah blah. If squads in the
future have
different weapons, meaning one guy has a high firepower weapon like a
SAW, the SL will
always have to consolidate and reorganize to ensure that weapon remains
in operation
if at all possible blah blah blah.

>   Well, since I've never had to extract a heavy weapon from a
gyromount
> after my buddy sucked down a bit too much plasma, I guess I can't
really
> contribute much to the discussion.  :)

No but I've had to extract a PK and ammo belts from a guy that was
missing both legs
and bleating like a cow. Same thing sort of.

Los

Prev: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q) Next: Radar, sonar and more