Prev: Re: Submunition Mines Next: Re: NBC

NBC

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:11:16 -0500
Subject: NBC

Just some more scribblings...

Henrix... (sorry, I may have called you Hendrix the first time, but I'm
jus'
a po' dumb Canuck tha' cannae speak.... er... type... in this case...)
said
these words of wisdom:

Ah, yes, good point. On the other hand we don't penalize figures in PA,
s=
ome
of the models I've seen seem to have rather inflexible neck joints, if
th=
ey
have neck joints at all!

** Good point. I sort of assumed the targetting systems in the PA offset
this. However I didn't figure every vacc suit would be thus equipped. A
1 RB
penalty would be good for combat if there was a tech-edge issue. Maybe
move
as encumbered.

Ouch, I wear glasses. Gas mask + glasses (specially made for the mask) +
sighting =3D significantly less accurate fire :-)

** Don't need mine to shoot. In fact, prefer to shoot with 1 layer of
gogs
on - so the only way I'd shoot that way is if I could get a mask with
special optics for the eyepieces.

I was sort of hoping we'd solve some these problems in the next 200
years=
,

** Everyone will have perfect vision by then! :)

> ** And has the enemy dropped a suit-eating nanite in the area?
> Hmmm......

That's a nasty thought you have there. There's a confidence test for
just
thinking the enemy may have done that.

** Oh, its only one of many.... :)

> But what happens if a vacc suit is punctured? That would naturally
> depend on
> what is out there, but in extreme cases perhaps all wounds would be
> kills.
>
> ** I think this is the secret to hostile environments. Every hit is a
> black skull.

Or then again, perhaps not. The really terrible thing is to leave a lot
o=
wounded for the enemy to take care of. (Awful pictures of long lines of
mustard gas-blinded soldiers being led away from WWI comes to mind...)

** I assume the following:
1) Hostile environments kill if the breach is big enough not to
autoseal.
2) A weapon might wound and the suit might autoseal. But the lethality
should probably be higher than a normal situation.

** How about this for resolving casualties from such hostile
environments:
1-3: Dead
4-5: Wounded
6: Okay (lightly wounded, but able to fight)

That was why I proposed a reaction test instead of a quality of MOPP (a
n=
ew
acronym for me, wonder what it stands for ;)

** Mission Oriented Protective Posture

) kit roll. I assume fairly g=
ood
detecting gear, automatic chemical sniffers or somesuch....but in the
end=
 it
boils down to troop quality and leadership to get everybody buttoned up
i=
time.

** Yep, but I think it should maybe take an action to button up. Either
the
one you haven't yet used this turn or the lose your next activation...
this
makes fake chem attacks a nice plus as it forces the enemy force to
button
up and consume time...

I doubt that. I think getting the concentration of gas high enough for
it=
affect you through the skin will still be impractical. You would of
cours=
still have to watch out for fluid spray or on the ground of course.

** I think you'd be wrong. I believe you'll find a number of places
where
chemical agents have been used in the world lately have had the kind of
agent used were of a variety such that some small number of milligrams
of
the agent, undetectable by smell or sight, and which kills you in under
30
seconds, and I believe in some cases were skin absorbtive. And I think
you
might find in 2183 that you have clouds of genetically modified
organisms
(GMOs) acting as carriers and maybe even nanites. I'm pretty sure you'd
need
full body covering when fighting a high tech chem attack. Low tech you
could
defend against with masks.

Or perhaps automatically wounded, with a special marker. If given
medical
treatment roll the die as usual: 1-2 =3D still unstabilised, 3-5 =3D
stab=
ilised
6 =3D OK. This representing disabling chemicals, making the poor bastard
=
blind
or in terrible pain or hallucinating or whatever, specially made so as
to=
 be
difficult to treat.

** Hmmm.... don't think so. You're assuming conventional wounds are easy
treat. Fragmenting rounds, Napalm, rounds laced with poisons, etc. etc.
-
there are plenty of horrors covered and all the GZGverse does is
abstract
these, the turn length (could be 5 min) and the medical tech. Chem
weapons
are hideous but we should try to not modify mechanics for wounding if we
can
avoid it based on the idea we can't comprehend how hideous their other
weapons would be...

> ** My ideas: (Similarly rambling)
> 1) Both sides fighting high MOPP level: ignore it, everyone suffers
> equally as far as encumberance, effects, etc. If attacked with Chem
> weapons, roll quality of MOPP kit vs qualty of agent. If agent wins,
but
> does not double the defence die, wound results. Otherwise, death. If
the
> unit is unprepared, roll D4 for defender. Both sides may start
Fatigued
> if this fight has been going on for a while. If an unprepared unit is
> attacked, after attack resolution, it is considered prepared.
Similarly,
> if you enter a contaminated area, consider this a chemical attack with
> one negative die shift in effectiveness. This method also represents
the
> presence of active nanites or whatever in chemical attacks such that
> higher quality chem attacks have a likelikhood of compromising
> protection that would normally totally thwart chem attacks.

Yes, I like that, except that I think the units Quality should come to
be
ar in the initial attack (did everyone remember to change filters?), and
that there should be a bunch of confidence tests all round and reaction
tests for
entering contaminated areas.

** What should trigger reaction tests, and how severe:
1) Being under NBC attack (taking a casualty, detector going off, etc)
	I'd suggest this one be TL +2/+1/0 for various motivations...
2) Entering a contaminated area
	I'd suggest this one to be TL +1/0/NTR

** For resolving the attack
Attack Dice: Quality of Agent (Basic, Enhanced, Superior)
Defence Dice: Quality of Defending Unit
Modifiers: Defender quality +1 DS if superior MOPP gear
	     Defender quality -1 DS if basic MOPP gear
Results: Attack < Defence dice - no effect
	 Attack = Defence dice < 2x defence dice - wounded
	   Attack 2x or more Defence dice - dead

Silent death _is_ scary!

** Yes it is, but it can be a fun game.... <*grin*>

Henrix
Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Submunition Mines Next: Re: NBC