Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

RE: Where's the Cheese?

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:15:16 +1000
Subject: RE: Where's the Cheese?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Sarno [mailto:msarno@ptdprolog.net]
> Subject: Re: Where's the Cheese?

SOME SNIPS

> In RL, I can
> do this, why not in SGII?

In RL you can actually employ your wepaons to suppress rather than
kill!? I
presume you mean the old "movie style" Give me covering fire!

Making noise isn't suppressing. The British Army has done some detailed
research on what was deemed to 'suppress' a soldier. Rounds falling
within 1
meter of a soldier were deemed to suppress ie have a morale affect
effectively neutralising him and preventing him conducting further
activities for at least a limited period of time.

Forcing an enemy to duck isn't the same as suppressing. And at the scale
of
Stargrunt we are attempting to Suppress an entire section of men spread
over
possibly a 60m area.

>     But the SL can also order the SAW to lay down suppression fire.

I've never heard or seen a fire control order "suppressive fire" - and
certainly never given or seen given FC orders for seperate teams/groups
on
the same enemy.....hmm, except for the M203 to try to put a round into a
hardened fighting pit...

>     But that's not what we're talking about here.  Even so,
> I'd allow it
> in my games.	The squad IS using up it's second action.
>
> > The best try was to fire three rifles getting a d10
> (remeber you round
> > up?) in the first and then the second three rifles with a d10 in the
> > second action.
>
>     That sounds a bit cheesy, but it's not strictly illegal.	I don't
> know that I'd use it, but I'd play against a guy who did.

OK, you are playing a completely different philosophical approach to the
game.

I can't accept you quoting RL in support of one argument and then
turning
around and claiming that if it isn't strictly illegal by the rules
you'll
include it in a game.

>     Actually, this example is in the book on p 15:

Quoting out of context.

> "Note that even if all the squad is together, one action NEED
> NOT affect
> ALL members of the squad - the player may decide to have some squad
> members (eg: the ordinary troopers and the SAW gunner) fire at one
> target, while he uses the other action to make the squad's missile
> launcher fire at another target such as an enemy vehicle."

And lastly this example was using a GMS which CANNOT be fired using the
same
action. And the actions used are to engage SEPARATE targets. Which is
the
opposite to the situations we've been discussing. That is maximising the
firepower to be used against a SINGLE target in one Activation.

So I guess we'll just go our seperate ways on this issue. We play for
the
fun of the games; the rules are a set of guidelines. Whenever we coming
to a
point of interpretation we've rationalised it in RL terms and come up
with
acceptable resolutions to all concerned.

Enjoy your gaming,

:-)

Owen G

Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)