Prev: Re: [SG2] Newbie Questions . . . Next: Climate

Re: SG2 newbie Q

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 05:45:24 GMT
Subject: Re: SG2 newbie Q

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:29:19 -0500, Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay
<kaladorn@home.com> wrote:

>** I'd say not. Or at least, it seems cheesy. I'm not so hot on firing
>the SAW separate from the squad... (after all, if your squad is
engaging
>a target, it isn't like the rifles fire... THEN the SAW fires... they
>all fire at their appropriate rate from the minute the target is called
>by the SL). If it is engaging another target, okay. Otherwise, I'd call
>this cheesy. But maybe I'm alone in that opinion.

It's not expressly prohibited. I did some analysis and found that
splitting
fire increases suppression, but decreases damage. Of course, once the
unit
takes a suppression or itself it will only have one action to fire.
Hunkered
down units defending a position result in a lot of suppression, which
may seem
cheesy but from a macro game point of view seems reasonable to me. My
house
rules for opportunity fire mean that the squad usually eats up two
actions to
go on overwatch anyway, so this doesn't happen that often in my games,
anyway.

If you want to limit its effectiveness, here's an option. Instead of
preventing it entirely, only let one squad inflict on suppression marker
per
target squad per activation. In other words, the unit CAN fire twice at
the
same target by splitting fire, but the most suppression markers the
target
will take will be one. This increases the chance of getting that ONE
suppression marker at the cost of a decreased chance of inflicting
casualties.

>** THAT one is a typo. The rules are meant to read (from the errata)
>once per activation. So if your squad is reactivated, you can in fact
>perform a whole new set of actions. This is one of those reasons some
of
>us limit a squad to one reactivation to avoid the supersquad
>breakdancing their way across the board killing people if there happens
>to be a few leader types present...

Hmmm. I thought that was a rule. I know that a command unit can only
activate
a squad once when it transfers actions. I never gave it much thought as
what happens if a command squad is activated more than once due to the
presence of the command's squad's command squad. I always suspected that
the
game broke down if you had two many echelons on the battlefield at once.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: [SG2] Newbie Questions . . . Next: Climate