Prev: Re: RFACS Next: Re: SG II: Flame vs. armor

Re: DSII motorcycles/grav bikes

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:56:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: DSII motorcycles/grav bikes

On 15-Feb-00 at 22:56, John Leary (john_t_leary@pronetusa.net) wrote:
> Robertson, Brendan wrote:
> >
> > One the ex-army guys I know told me about a night exercise once
where
> > they mounted 2 x 50 cal machine guns onto a bike & loaded it with
> > tracer. Apparently it looked very impressive as the rider swerved &
> > negotiated the terrain, so it can be done.
>
>      Are you certain that he said 'two fifty-cal' and not '2 5.0 gal'
> cans
> of frosty. (Fosters)
>
> :-)
>
> Two Fifty cal HBMG weigh 192+ pounds and two cans of 50 cal linked
ammo
> (100 rds ea.) weigh 60.5 lbs.  This plus mountings and rider would
put
> the load at around 500 pounds on a bike.   Not very likely. (But we
are
> talking about residents of Oz) :-)  )
>
> Two .30 SAW with belts I can believe!
> That the comment was made after some frosties, I believe!

500 pounds, on a Gold-Wing?  No big deal.  500 pounds on the
Brazilian bike that uses the engine out of the old VW Beatle?
No problem.  You might even be able to do 500 pounds on a big
Harley.  There are severel suggestions though, the 50 cals would
need to be mounted low.  I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the
kick, and don't ever drop the thing.  It's going to take 3 people
to pick it up.

Roger

Prev: Re: RFACS Next: Re: SG II: Flame vs. armor