Prev: 25mm Trucks for games Next: Re: RFACS

Re: Strike Boats...

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:23:28 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Strike Boats...

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Brian Bilderback wrote:

> From: Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>  > On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Ryan M Gill wrote:
>  >
>  > > Sound like the Commander of the NAC BB squadron was an ESU plant.
>  >
>  > such a simple error! the Royal Navy Operations Manual clearly
states
>  > (paragraph 5, clause 17, chapter 23): "Under no circumstances shall
any
>  > entity with leaves be given command of an operational unit larger
than a
>  > section, unless Emergency Staffing Plan IX is in operation.".
putting
>  > vegetative matter in command of battle squadrons has been the
downfall of
>  > many a fleet.
>
> :> There's a scene in one of David Brin's books where one of the main
> characters is going into the local public library to find something in
> hurry. He storms into the building, can't see a librarian's desk, and
> there's this massive potted plant in the lobby. Starts muttering about
> where's the librarian and why's this big plant in the way when the
'potted
> plant' asks if he needs help finding something...
>
> Turns out the big 'potted plant' is a particularly impressive specimen
of
> intelligent, herbiform alien, and very intelligent to boot. Brin
always
> has done cool aliens.
>
> Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-

> Reminds me a lot of the book Greenthieves, can't remember the author.
I'd
> say more, but it'd give the book away.

'Greenthieves', Alan Dean Foster, 1994; published by Ace in the US,
Orbit
in the UK, with a UK hardback rerelease by Severn House in 1996.

aaah, the Internet Science Fiction Database.

http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb/sfdbase.html

pure class in a glass!

tom

Prev: 25mm Trucks for games Next: Re: RFACS