Prev: [SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire Next: Re: [SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire & DS2 Smoke

Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 8:39:00 -0500
Subject: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 02/11/00 12:45AM >>>
>Having played with the vechicles over the last few months, I have found

them
>to be ineffective against infantry.  I thought that FSV like the M163AV
>would be more effective against infantry.  An idea that I propose is
that
>the RFAC/1 and only the RFAC/1 is given a D12 impact vs infantry.  This
is
>based on the assumption that the RFAC is similar to a Vulcan cannon
which
>lays down a wall of fire.  It might not be the best suited against
infantry
>but when you spit out 6K rounds a minute, its going to hurt.  This
would
>make them worth while to but on gun ships, anti-infantry vehicles and
the
>like.	What do people think?

>Well, an RFAC/1 is an autocannon in the 20mm cal range.  I don't like
that
>these have impact d8 vs. infantry either.  If it is a 30mm firing
single
>shots that are basically explosive (so the troops are taking explosive
>damage primarily, not impact damage from the rounds) then that makes
more
>sense.  But if you hose an infantry unit with a Vulcan cannon, it's
going
>to make a big mess.

>From a DS2 perspective, I agree that RFACs seem like they could use
more
punch against infantry.  I have also wanted to see this with air defense

weapons.  At the Origins War College last year, an Army officer
discussed
the effectiveness of AA against infantry, especially in urban conflict.
His
discussions focussed I believe on the Russians experience in Grosney.
This
was part of an urban warfare class.  Very interesting class and very
informative.  He made a lot of interesting notes of how most armies are
not
equipped to fight in urban conflicts.

One vehicle type he mentioned that would help would be armored supply
vehicles for refueling and bringing in supplies.  The Russians had no
specific vehicles for doing this and suffered in such instances when
troops
were trying to refuel tanks in the open and were taking sniper
fire...not a
fun job.  They also used APCs to deliver food and supplies, but this
hurt
them too as they had to divert armored vehicles from combat missions to
resupply roles.

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: [SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire Next: Re: [SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire & DS2 Smoke