Prev: Re: my web page of SSDs Next: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry

[SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:25:59 -0500
Subject: [SG] HELS/DFFG's and Fire

A quick look in SG 2 failed to find the effect of firing Heavy (vehicle
size) HELs and DFFG's to start fires.

What got me thinking was the RFAC vs. Infantry thread. While I agree
that
HEL's and DFFG's may be unlikely to directly hit infantry diving for
cover
or behind cover, it seems that if the cover is flammable, these weapons
would likely set the cover on fire. This in turn would have an effect on
infantry within or close to the fire.

Part of the debate would have to deal with how HEL's and DFFG's are
immagined.

If they are sinble pulse weapons that do most of thier damage by
superheating and internal structure causing an explosion, it could be
argued
that the explosion may have the force to extinguish a fire that was
started.
However, in this case, the exploding gas or material may be hot enough
start secondary fires.

If, on the other hand, continous beam/stream or milisecond cycling pulse
is
used, then heat on exposed surfaces (causing melting rather than
explosive
damage) would be the effect. These type weapons would be ideal for
starting
area fires by just sweeping an area that has flammable material in it.

In either case, are there rules for this that I missed?

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

Prev: Re: my web page of SSDs Next: Re: RFACs Vs Infantry