Prev: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB) Next: Strikeboat Design

Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:40:33 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

GBailey@aol.com wrote:

> Was this directed at me or Sean who wasn't too keen on using the FTL
> drive for HETs?

XXX
     Sorry to have been unclear!   Primary questions to you.  JTL
XXX
> I haven't changed any of this.  Besides, these FTL rules are part of
the
> GZG universe, they do not have to be the same FTL rules in whatever
> universe I'm playing in.  Warp drives from Star Trek work differently,
and
> jump drives from Traveller work differently.
XXX
   I can understand the now that the 'different universe' concept is in
play.
FT is very adaptable.	I misunderstood that this was going to change
the
basic FT 'jump' rules.	 JTL
XXX

> And this thing about having to not change speed and direction to use
> your FTL drive... I thought these drives are two different systems?
> Are they sharing the same power plant?  If so, why does the
> power plant that can power a main drive 8 engine require the same
amount
> of power to power the FTL drive as a power plant used for a main drive
1
> engine in the same sized ships?
XXX
     On the SSD they are shown os two different systems.   Your concept
of
sharing a common power source has great merit.	 Possible PSB reasons
for
the 'off line' conditions of other systems:
1) Power fluctuations on the power system would destabilize the 'Jump
Field'.
   (Such as weapons fire)
2) Entry into subspace is thru a 'corridor' created by the jump drive,
   any contact with the 'wall' would destroy the ship.
   (The reason for going straight.)
3) Ect.      JTL
XXX

> I just want to know if my HET ideas have merit, have problems (i.e.,
SMs),
> or could be a bit better.  When is an HET allowed?  Is the break down
> chance sufficient and what is the result of a break down?
> (Cinematic movement only.)
XXX
     In Traveller, such a maneuver was known as a Tac-jump. (Tactical)

The concept would add a level of complexity not currently present
in the game.   The desireability of this would depend upon your
gaming group.	A number of interesting problems could develop;
1) When in the turn does it occur?
2) How frequently does it occur?
3) Is the firing before, or after the jump, or both?
4) Will both sensors need to recompute targets after the jump?
   Or will only the non-jumping ship need to recompute?   JTL
XXX

> btw, for those who haven't seen HET rules from SFB: it it meant as
> a possible sudden escape from massive damage (i.e., a plasma torpedo
> or a wave of "drones" - missiles in SFB) or a sudden maneuver to
> outmaneuver your opponent.  Usually the first HET has no break down
> chance, except for the really big ships, and
> the chances for a break down increase with each HET performed.
> An HET resets your turn mode (you have to move a certain distance
before
> making a turn) so it should replace one of your possible maneuver
points
> (start or midpoint) and not add a new one.
>
> Glen
XXX
     Actually the thought of adding a new turn point for the HET,
halfway
thru the first leg of movement, is more in keeping with the FT format.
It might be worth a playtest.  JTL
XXX

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB) Next: Strikeboat Design