Prev: Sandbagged APCs? Next: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:29:00 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

Glen wrote:
>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 02/08/00 03:35PM >>>
>Was this directed at me or Sean who wasn't too keen on using the FTL
>drive for HETs?

Just getting into the HET discussion...  Using FTL for HET does not seem
keep the flavor for each drive's intended function.  That is one in
normal
space and one in FTL, unless they were thinking microjumps which might
be
modeled in a more interesting way as a random displacement from a short
emergency use of the FTL drive.

>And this thing about having to not change speed and direction to use
>your FTL drive... I thought these drives are two different systems?
>Are they sharing the same power plant?  If so, why does the
>power plant that can power a main drive 8 engine require the same
>amount
of power to power the FTL drive as a power plant used for a >main drive
1
engine in the same sized ships?

I'm sure everyone here can provide some PSB for this, but in the game it

adds a choice for players.  If you really want to FTL, you run the risk
of
getting shot at without some return fire or evasive maneuvers.

>I just want to know if my HET ideas have merit, have problems (i.e.,
>SMs),
or could be a bit better.  When is an HET allowed?  Is the break >down
chance sufficient and what is the result of a break down?
>(Cinematic movement only.)

Dean Gundberg suggested an option a while back for emergency power that
believe could double your maneuver drive output for the turn it was
requested with a risk of damaging the engines.	I found this concept to
fit
well with HETs.  Dean, could you repost this?

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: Sandbagged APCs? Next: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)